Why I Love Travelling Solo

by - 9:36 PM

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you already know that I went to Ljubljana this month. If you don't, you probably know it too, because I basically shouted it from the rooftops. 
The reason that I kept going on and on and on about this trip was that it was my first time as a solo traveller. Right after I'd bought my ticket I almost cried with fear when I thought about having to do everything all by myself. After all it's a big scary world out there and I'm a pretty small girl. I was afraid I wouldn't like solo travelling at all. The minute I left the house I fell in love with it though, and here's the reasons why!

Everything feels like a huge achievement
You got through airport security? Achievement! You boarded your plane? Achievement! You found out which shuttle will bring you to the city centre? Achievement! Got lost, but eventually found the way to your hostel? Achievement! You're the best!
When you're in a group, you don't think about how you're getting from A to B. You kind of trust the people around you to keep an eye out for you. If something goes wrong, you help each other out. But when you're travelling solo there's no such thing as 'relying on your friends'. No sir, you've got to do it all by yourself! So everything you manage to do something without completely messing it up, it feels like this huge achievement. Because you did that. All by yourself. You don't need no one's help, cause you're awesome like that!

You'll be alone
Well, duh. What else did you expect? That's why we call it "solo travelling". But for introverts like me, it's great. Ever been in that situation where you're lost in a foreign city with three friends who are doing a tug-of-war with the city map while yelling at each other how hopelessly lost you all are and that they're the best at finding the way back? Been there, done that, didn't like it at all.
So you'll be alone. You're the only person you have to make happy during your trip. No nagging, just me, myself and I to keep happy.

But you won't be alone for long
It's probably the biggest cliche there is in the travelling world, but it's true! You'll arrive by yourself. You'll go on a tour by yourself. Then suddenly you find yourself in the middle of a group of other solo travellers who are just freaking awesome. Believe me, if I can make friends within a day while travelling solo, everyone can do it!
People in hostels are usually friendly. Hanging out in the common rooms will almost certainly lead to a conversation and probably friendship. Invitations to go out are exchanged in dorm rooms all the time. Trust me, you won't be alone for long.

Though you can be alone if/when you want
Yes, those people you meet are amazing, but if you don't feel like hanging out with them today that's totally fine. If you want to hang out at that weird artsy place to take pictures of bikes, that's great. If you want to spend more time at the castle, go for it. If you're fed up with travelling, tired or grumpy, you can just stay in your dorm, on your bed with headphones on and a book in your hands. No one will judge you for it. That's the beauty of travelling by yourself: you can do whatever you want.

And yes, you'll have a lonely cry
Okay, maybe this is not so great about solo travelling, but I'd be lying if I said it was all rainbows and unicorns and awesomeness. No, you'll reach that point where you hate your bed, hate the food, hate having to say goodbye to the people in your dorm who are leaving, you hate having to fend for yourself 24/7. You're just done with it.
Or maybe something goes horribly wrong. Maybe you miss your flight, maybe your bag gets stolen. Anyway, at some point you'll feel like going home. A lonely cry will not exactly make you feel better, but the phone call home or the texts from your best friend will get you right back on track afterwards. Besides, there's a lot of awesomeness to your trip to think about, so why cry?

By the way, pizza for breakfast is totally an option
Before I say goodbye and forget one of the best parts of solo travelling, I'll say this: Pizza for breakfast is an option! It totally is! And the same goes for brownies and cake! Or a waffle for lunch! No, it's not the responsible or mature thing to do, but for once no one will tell you off for eating cake on a Wednesday morning. No one will judge you for getting that extra scoop of ice cream. Seize that moment and enjoy all the food whenever you want it!

When I travelled to Slovenia I got lost, I was scared, I was alone and sometimes completely confused. But all those things are part of the experience, an experience that was pretty amazing. I'll take that one lonely cry if it means I get to meet more and more awesome people while travelling through faraway countries. And let's not forget the pizza breakfast. There are some definite pros to that. So yes, it might seem scary at first, but it's more than worth it. If you ever get the chance to travel solo, don't hesitate. Take that chance!

Stay Awesome!

You May Also Like

4 Fellow Ramblers

  1. Hey Envy,
    That sounds like an Adventure. I love your ideas to travel alone. I think when I'll reach the adult age of 18 or older I want to try it. One Thing that could be difficult for me is to find the right way to anywhere, get lost is a reason.
    Love,Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travelling by your self is one of the biggest adventures you can go on when you're in your late teens/early twenties. You should definitely give it a try once you turn 18 :) Just start out in some small place like I did. Getting lost won't be a huge problem in a place like Ljubljana ;)

      Delete
  2. love reading this post dear . i can really relate that a point comes when you start missing your home n starts hating everything .. still i would like to have some saolo travelling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think we've all been at that point some time in our lives, but it shouldn't keep us from exploring the world :)

      Delete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)