Over the Bridge

by - 6:00 PM


"Dad?" I tapped my dad on the shoulder. We were waiting in line at the Victoria Falls airport to get our visa for Zimbabwe. It was supposed to be an easy process, but something had made it a little more complicated: "Did you know that getting a double visa for Zimbabwe and Zambia was an option?"
"What?"
I pointed at the banners and signs advertising the double visa. Chaos ensued. Would we need a double visa if we were to go rafting on the Zambezi, which functions as the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia? Would the Zimbabwean half of the visa expire if we went to Zambia only for an hour or two on the package deal? So many questions, so few answers. We decided to stick to the single visa for Zimbabwe, which was already quite expensive. Then, the minute we got through customs, we met our tour guide, who told us we'd just screwed up our only chance on this trip to go to Zambia.

I sulked for the rest of my first day in Zimbabwe. It was my fault that we couldn't go to Zambia, I had failed to find us the information we needed. Now I'd never see Zambia. It had never been part of the plan, but it still stung that I missed out on the opportunity to add another country to the list of places I've visited. I couldn't just let it go. I was confronted with my failure for the entirety of the next morning, when we went to the Victoria Falls. Looking at them meant looking at Zambia. But when I thought all hope was lost, one last loophole saved the day: I could cross the Victoria Falls Bridge into Zambia without a visa.


The Victoria Falls Bridge was built over a century ago. Construction started in 1904 as part of a plan to connect Cape Town to Cairo by railway. That railway idea was quickly abandoned, but the bridge was finished in 1905 and has been serving Zimbabwe and Zambia well ever since. Tourists staying in the town of Victoria Falls can cross the border to visit the bridge and the café on the other side, which is on Zambian territory. All is good as long as you don't follow the road into Zambia and go past the border post; Doing that means your Zimbabwean visa expires and you'll have to get a new one to get back to your hotel or camp.
My parents and I went up to the Zimbabwean border posts, where we spoke the magic words: "We want to visit the bridge." A government official gave us a white slip with a stamp on it and we were ready to visit the outermost edge of Zambia.

As soon as we left the border post behind us, I felt like we'd entered the real Africa. Victoria Falls tries its best to craft a comfortable illusion for its tourists, where poverty and politics are kept to a minimum. If you want to, you can stay inside the safe tourism bubble without seeing the mile-long line for the gas station, that only sells gas at night, or without noticing the kids running around in shoes that don't fit. That bubble bursts when you decide to visit and cross the bridge. The amount of white and Asian faces between the Zimbabwean and Zambian border posts is minimal. All of a sudden, you find yourself in the hustle and bustle of an actual border town, where import and export are managed and where locals are busy at work in transport and trade. People stand in line with their bicycles waiting to enter the other country. And here and there, you'll also see street vendors trying to sell their goods to the tourists who dare to leave their bubble, though most of these vendors stay on the actual bridge. They got on my nerves, to be honest, but apart from that, I enjoyed seeing normal people living their normal lives. I liked this small excursion. Until I set foot on the bridge.


Crossing the bridge is risky business when you have vertigo. Crossing a century-old bridge that shakes and trembles when any motorized vehicle crosses it is even worse. Let me just say that I wasn't the happiest of happy campers when I walked slowly towards Zambia. The view made the walk worthwhile, although I was fairly sure it might just be the last view I'd ever see.
Right in the middle of the bridge, a yellow sign let us know that we were "NOW ENTERING ZAMBIA". Without a visa, but with the magical slip that got us here.

Just after I'd set foot on the Zambian side of the bridge, another truck made the whole thing tremble. It made me nervous, so I picked up the pace more and more until my dad and I ended up in a race to become the first of the Fisher family to set foot on Zambian soil. I won.

There wasn't much to see when I took in my surroundings. A small hill blocked my view. While I waited for my mom to reach this end of the bridge, my dad went to have a look. He told us there wasn't much to see on the other side of the hill either, except for the road to the Zambian border post. It didn't matter. The fact that I'd actually made it to Zambia was enough.


We went to the small café right next to the bridge for a drink. For a few moments, I considered spending $45 there on the zipline that would take me across the gorge and back to Zimbabwe. It looked amazing, flying high over the Zambezi and crossing an international border in the process, but I couldn't justify spending the equivalent of seven hours of work in my current job on a minute of adrenaline. I settled for a bottle of coke and reminded myself that I was lucky to be here. Lucky to be in Africa, lucky to be in Zambia. I sat down at a table with a view of the bridge and Zimbabwe, where another family from our tour group was waiting for their lunch to arrive. Like us, they'd decided not to spend an entire month's worth of rent on rafting and bungee jumping. They were the only people in the group that didn't make me feel bad for being a working-class kid.

We sat there for a while, all seven of us, drinking, eating and taking pictures of the monkeys that had decided to come and steal some French fries. We enjoyed the calm, the quiet, the occasional rumble of a truck crossing the bridge. When the other family left to take a look at the Victoria Falls in the late afternoon light, we stayed a little longer. I was quiet, taking in the moment. I couldn't comprehend yet that I, a nobody from the Netherlands, was enjoying a coke in the faraway country of Zambia, despite all my mental issues, despite my mistakes with visa.
"Glad we came to the bridge?" my mom asked just before we went back to Zimbabwe.
I nodded.
"I'm sorry we couldn't do more in Zambia."
I smiled and raised my coke bottle. "Mom, this was exactly what I wanted from Zambia. Good company, a cold drink and a nice view of Zimbabwe. I couldn't wish for anything more."

x Envy

You May Also Like

16 Fellow Ramblers

  1. Aw, this is such a lovely post, Envy! And I must say you are FAR braver than me, I don't think I could have brought myself to cross that bridge, I've seen too many films about collapsing crossings to put me off :) I've been loving all your travel content, this is such a wonderful piece, I'm so pleased you got to go to Zambia after all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought about collapsing bridges a lot, there's no point in denying it. There's also a small train for tourists who want to go to the other side. Supposedly safe, very expensive... I'd rather walk, to be honest. Oh, and there's still a lot more travel content coming up :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an exciting trip over the bridge to Zambia! I must say, I think I would have been really nervous crossing the bridge too, shakey bridges and heights is a no from me 😂
    Afric is not a place that I have put on my list, ut reading your travel adventures is increasing my interest in the place!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    Aimsy xoxo
    Aimsy’s Antics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so freaking shaky. It's a long bridge, a high bridge, a bridge from your worst nightmares if you have vertigo. But challenging vertigo made the walk so exciting.
      If Africa wasn't on your list before, I wouldn't recommend Zimbabwe to be honest. It's a pretty rough place, especially for inexperienced travelers on a budget.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a big fan of heights either, it amazing that you are so brave to go across the bridge girl.
    Such a nice read thank you for sharing x
    ThinkLikeart

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a special memory that will stay with you for years to come. I remember when we visited Tanzania and decided to leave that 'tourist bubble' for a more authentic experience - having lunch at a local cafe. It's the little things that tend to stay with us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still feel that cold bottle of coke in my hand, still hear the rumble of trucks crossing the bridge. Such a small moment, but so special to me personally.

      Delete
  5. This takes me back! I remember going on this same bridge but it's worth the view isn't it? I had friends who wanted to do the little bungee jump from the bridge actually. I'm glad you were able to go and enjoy the cafe with your parents. (:

    Single Vegas Girl
    http://singlevegasgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha we always end up visiting the same places around the same time somehow! Did your friends do the jump? I'm way too chicken for things like that. Ziplines is where I draw the line.

      Delete
  6. This is such a lovely story and what a wonderful memory to have. But it would have taken a hell of a lot to make me cross that bridge. I'd be thinking of movies I'd seen where they fall through the entire time x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my story :) You can take the train to the other side if you're scared when walking down the bridge!

      Delete
  7. The ending is so lovely! You wrote this article really well :)
    I must admit that zip-lining into another country sounds like so much fun, and I hope you get the chance to do that one day! Also do you happen to be one of those people with a scratch away map of the world? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you! That zipline is literally my reason for wanting to go back one day.
      I don't have the scratch map, but I do have a tote bag with a map on it. Every time I visit a new place I color it in on the map. It looks less messy than the scratch maps in my opinion.

      Delete
  8. Hahaha thanks. I felt like a superhero once I'd crossed it. That feeling faded as soon as I had to cross it again to get back to camp... It was totally worth it though. Zambia was a nice break from the toxic tourism bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the looks of your post, you had a pretty exciting trip and created some good memories

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)