My Four Least Favorite Superheroes

by - 7:00 PM

I believe in a thing called balance. If I blog about things I'm good at, I also blog about things I'm bad at. And so balance remains. Now a couple of weeks ago I posted about my favorite superheroes. To keep balance, today I'll tell you about, you guessed it, my least favorite superheroes. Let's get started, shall we?

#4: Spider-Man
Yeah, this'll probably come as a nasty surprise to some of you. I liked the new Spider-Man in Civil War a lot, but my dislike comes from a childhood trauma. Okay, trauma is probably too big of a word, but it was trauma-like.
When I was six I had this friends who could watch anything she wanted without her parenst protesting. Back then I had a whole list of cartoons and movies I couldn't watch, I also had nightmares as soon as something remotely scary happened. Naturally I wasn't allowed to watch Spider-Man at six years old, but my friend was. One days her younger brothers (one and three years old at the time) were watching the movie. Dr Octopus terrified me and Spider-Man was completely useless in teh scenes I saw. Of course my feelings for Spider-Man have changed over the years. Toby McGuire stepping down already helped a lot, since his Spider-Man couldn't protect me. But deep down inside, six-year-old Envy still gets uncomfortable when Spider-Man comes along.

#3: Aquaman
My dislike for Aquaman started as a joke, just like my love for Batman. He seemed so ridiculously lame. I'd thought the same about Captain America though, so one day I decided to give Aquaman a chance. My dad had just given me an enormous pile of his old comic books, mostly Batman, but one Aquaman. I read it quickly, hoping to find something cool, but no... The story didn't do anything for me, neither did the characters. Aquaman is just not my cup of tea.

#2: Thor
Maybe it's because I was brought up by a man who took Nordic myhtology very serious. Maybe it's because I don't like Chris Hemsworth. Either way, I don't like Thor.
I like my Norse gods the way they are in their myths, not running around with a big green guy, a dude in an iron suit and an ancient WWII veteran. That's just not right. I don't like it. I like it even less when Marvel suddenly decides that Thor can be turned into a woman. No. Just no.

#1: Superman
My least favorite superhero of all times is the one and only Superman. Why, you ask me? Because he's too good. Most superheroes get their ass kicked from time to time. Superman only loses when there's kryptonite around. Apart from that he's pretty much invincible and has just about every power. This makes him the ultimate superhero to some, but incredibly boring to me. If he's in a fight you can be almost 100% sure he'll win. There's never much of that doubt about the fate of a main character that makes stories so appealing to me. No, Superman can do just about anything. Wake me up when the boring is over.

Now I'm still a newbie to the superhero world, so these may change over time. I'll probably get over my issues with Spider-Man soon enough, while there are some other heroes I'm starting to dislike... It's not a bad dislike though. When I don't like a superhero, I love to hate them if you know what I mean. So tell me, who are your least favorite superheroes?

Stay Awesome!

You May Also Like

16 Fellow Ramblers

  1. I agree with this list on a spiritual level. (accept for the Thor one. because I do love him.)
    but literally everything else is the same. haha. I had the same childhood experience with SpiderMan! I was scarred honestly. lol.
    and WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE AQUAMAN AND SUPERMAN I DONT GET IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why people love Thor, I do, but for me it just doesn't work. We're both scarred hahaha. And do people even like Aquaman? I know people who like Superman, but Aquaman? Now I need to go on a search to find out if there still are people who like him.

      Delete
  2. Good post, I'm not interested in superheroes to be honest. But in fact, I don't like Superman either..He's just boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Can I just say that I love that you've commented even though superheroes aren't your thing? That's really cool :) And yes, Superman is boring. So. Freaking. Boring.

      Delete
  3. This was such an interesting take! It was nice to read a post that was so different and nothing like I had ever read before x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty! I didn't realize my post was sort of unique. I just post what feels right, but now I realize there won't be many bloggers who post stuff like this, hahaha.

      Delete
  4. YAS I hate superman too! Who wants someone who can do everything and is 100% nice and good with no complex personality - not me! 😂 I must say I do like the MCU incarnation of Thor though haha xx

    sophieannetaylor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you like that incarnation of Thor, hahaha. I mean, I have eyes, but still... He's just not my type I guess. He'll always be way better than Superman though! Honestly, he bores me to no end.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I grew up watching superman do this would be the hero of choice for me, Chloe https://pinkiebag.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't be the first to tell me that :P I've always been more of a Batman girl myself :)

      Delete
  6. I'm pretty much in agreement of this list.

    Aquaman isn't really my cup of tea either. I've never properly understood his creation. I think he's a fun character in theory, but in practice, he really falls short, in my opinion. I think that more has something to do with the writing than with the actual character, though.

    I also agree with Thor. I'm a sucker for Nordic Mythology, so I definitely understand your feelings on that. I would say, though, Iron Man would actually fit in perfectly with the type of people Thor would fight alongside. The Iron Man suit is less of a suit and more of an armor and considering how Nordic warriors dressed themselves, it fits in well. Not to mention that Tony crafting the suit himself would be similar to the dwarves of Svartalfheim who crafted Mjölnir, so he would probably be a lot more trusted to be powerful by Asgardians (even if they would side-eye him a bit because Asgard and Svartalfheim have the weirdest bloody relationship.) That aside, I hate they took what Thor was and exaggerated to a near unbelievable point. And I'm still pissed that Marvel went, "Let's take Thor's power away from him and then make Jane Foster, one of the most useless characters in the Marvel Universe, Thor. Because Thor is not a name, it a title." Like what? With that type of mental gymnastics, it's no wonder the movies are trash now and lack good characterisation.

    Spider-Man is a big meh to me. Loved the cartoon growing up, but he's one of those superheroes that has been redone and retold so many times that I'm kind of over it. I think Tom Holland was lovely in Civil War, the Spider-Man that we should have been seeing from the get-go, and the cast for the new Spider-Man movie looks amazing, but I'm just bored.

    With Superman though, I have a weird relationship with him. I hate that he embodies the ideals of perfection. He is what you think when you think of characters that are Gary/Mary Stus. However, I thought about it and I came to the conclusion that as a character he is probably the one that intrigues me the most, outside of like Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and Clint Barton, because of how he is categorised. It would be so easy for him to just go buckwild and unleash his powers without a thought, he could have gone back to his home planet (when he found out who he was) and rebuild an empire, but instead he decides to live as a human, masquerade as purely human, and hold back his powers. In a lot of ways, he's very similar to the Flash in regards to fact that both characters live normal day lives as humans, only select people know of them and their powers, and that when push comes to shove, they actively try not to use their powers to their full-extent. Basically, Superman is like the best psychological case study to me, but bores me as an actual character.

    Goodness, I am so sorry. This was such a bloody long comment. I'm too emotionally invested in superheroes. ಥ_ಥ

    ( Sidebar, I may totally do something similar to this and link back to you for giving me the ideas, so cheers. )

    mchi (@mchiouji) | http://blog.mchiouji.me ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all I have to say that you look at some things in a very different way than I do. Not in a negative way, but your comment has made me think some more about the heroes I've listed here.

      You have a great point that Aquaman sounds cool on paper. I don't know all that much about comics, but maybe they could've done something differently in the proces of making him come to life on the pages of a book that would've made him more interesting. Maybe it's just a plot related thing, a mismatch between his abilities and plot. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one day there's an interesting Aquaman issue. Maybe it's really just a matter of making the components and possibilities come together in a better way.

      When I was talking about the Avengers, I didn't see them a part that somehow had to fit into Norse mythology. I was thinking the other way around: how can you fit a piece of Norse mythology properly into the Marvel Universe? In my opinion, you can't. Looking at it the way you do, I'm left speechless cause honestly, that's some fan theorie gold you wrote there!

      Spider-Man is the favorite of so many of my friends, but I'm just a bit scarred. New cast might be awesome, maybe I'll even start liking Spider-Man, but right now I just can't.

      Your relationship with Superman is really interesting. I've never thought of him that way, it does make him more interesting. As an actual character he is boring, I agree on that. Maybe if the comics would focus a bit more on the things you've described, give the story a bit more of a psychological theme, it could be more interesting to people like us :)

      Don't be sorry for a long comment! They're my favorites, really. We should take about superheroes more often :)

      I'm already looking forward to your post :D

      Delete
  7. I definitely agree with Superman. Maybe hel's boring because he has no character flaws, only physical ones. That really only that Superman can be taken at face value. Now Batman, there's a great superhero! I'm really curious, why don't you like Chris Hemsworth? I don't know anything about Norse mythology, but hearing about Thor I wish I did. Although I always had the suspicion that Marvel's version was distorted in a way ... after all, they have to sell their merchandise. :')

    ReplyDelete
  8. Batman is the best! He was my first superhero crush :P
    As for Chris Hemsworth, I can't quite put my finger on it. Just not my type I guess? He just doesn't do it for me. I don't actively dislike him, but I just feel so indifferent towards him and the roles he plays. After Age of Ultron I warmed up to his Thor a little though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mostly agree with your list, and would add the Fantastic 4 clan...Ugh. I liked Spiderman when I was a preteen, because he was a high school geek that turned into a super important hero. His witty commentary cracked me up. In college, I like the Hulk, with the connections between man, beast, and basic human needs. Plus he was a scientist. I'm still waiting for a really good female superhero. I haven't found the right one yet, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about the Fantastic 4 to judge them. I stayed far away from the last movie and only read one comic, which was in Dutch and at least 30 years old.
      I never had a thing for Spiderman, but I see why people like him so much. Too bad he was overhyped here :(
      Have you checked the new Miss Marvel out yet? She's a personal favorite of mine :)

      Delete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)