Envy's Guide to Saving the World

by - 6:00 PM


I noticed something strange on the internet in the last months of 2018: People in comment sections asking for someone to save the world. For someone to solve all the world's problems. And while I understand the sentiment, it also worries me. If we're all going to cry for help, nothing is going to happen except a whole lot of crying for help. We need to take action, which honestly isn't as difficult as it often sounds. In fact, I think it takes just four easy steps to change the world for the better.

Step 1: Identify the problem
I know, I know. There are so many problems. The world is a shit show right now and we can't blame it all on Trump, Brexit or megacorporations. Besides, those are symptoms rather than causes. The real causes of why we're living in such a mess are too many to list, and that's what makes this first step so tricky: Before you know it, you're in over your head and can't see the light anymore. So choose one problem that's close to your heart. One problem, whether that's women's rights, environmental protection, getting people to vote, you name it. For me, that problem is plastic pollution and environmental protection (hence the pictures of nature, because some people don't seem to realize how beautiful nature is). Choose your one problem and tackle it with all you've got.



Step 2: Educate yourself
Now that you've identified the problem, it's time to read up on it. Of course you already know the basics, otherwise you wouldn't be doing something about this particular problem, but there's so much more information out there that will help you save the world! When I first got involved in the whole hating on single-use plastics thing, I knew the situation was bad. I just had no idea exactly how bad it was though. I also had no idea what I could do to change the situation or which charities to follow and support. At the time, I was still working an office job, so I always had a tab open in the background with a Google search for plastic pollution. Whenever work was slow (which was almost all the time), I'd read a new article or website. Within no time, I knew almost all there was to know and had a list of helpful resources and great charities.


Step 3: Take action
Knowledge is power, but power is useless if you don't do anything with it. So get off that couch and start changing the world for real! And no, I'm not talking about sending a tweet or two. Raising awareness is a good thing, but not if it's the only thing you do. You've got to put your money where your mouth is. If you did well in step 2, you'll know exactly what you need to do.
In my case, this step meant cutting out as much single-use plastic as I could. I switched from slimy shower gel to old fashioned soap from Lush. I choose plastic-free alternatives whenever I can. And because I felt that that wasn't enough, I started raising money to donate to charity. My mom helped me out with this. In the Netherlands country we have a bottle deposit scheme: you pay €0,25 on top of the product price for every big plastic bottle you buy and get that money back when you return the empty bottle to the supermarket, so it can be recycled. These bottles often get dumped in parks or around supermarkets. In those cases, my mom and I pick them up and bring them to the supermarket. That way we raised over €150,- in 2018, which we split between 4Ocean, the WWF and the Ocean Cleanup among others. Donating the money was very rewarding, but what made it even better was imagining the sheer amount of plastic we recycled: A mountain of about 600 plastic bottles that would have ended up in nature, landfills or incinerators otherwise.

Even though I'm proud of my family's accomplishments, I'll also be the first to admit that step 3 was the hardest one. It's the most rewarding one too, not just when you're working on it yourself, but also when you see your friends do their thing. Take Nabila from Hot Town Cool Girl for example, who campaigned like crazy for the midterm elections in the US, even though she's too young to vote. Or Kanra from The Lunar Descent, who organized a tree plantation drive in med school; they ended up planting tons of trees! Charlene is doing whatever she can for animals by raising money for several animal charities all year. And while all these things might seem small, all small efforts put together will make a huge difference in the end.



Step 4: Get others to join you in your efforts
Want to maximize your impact? Spread the word and convince others to join the cause (and yes, this is definitely the perfect moment to send those tweets!). I'm lucky enough to have parents who immediately joined me in raising money and looking for plastic-free alternatives. We might only be three people, but that's still more than one.

Still feeling a little discouraged? I totally get it. It's a big scary world out there and it's difficult to make a change. Sometimes I feel like I should give up, that all my efforts are for nothing, that I'm not changing the world one bit. Whenever I feel that way, I remind myself of a passage from Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illumiated, in which a kid goes through an existential crisis. His dad asks him the question: "If you picked up one grain of sand in the desert and put it down somewhere else, would that desert still be exactly the same as before?" The answer is no, of course. Every change, no matter how small, is a change and can lead to an awesome chain reaction. If I pick up my grain of sand, the desert won't be the same anymore. If all my friends pick theirs up, a sand dune could collapse. If we all do it, we can move the freaking desert. So tackle a problem. Stand up for what you believe in, for what you think is right. Come on guys, we've got a desert to move. We've got a world to change. We've got a planet to save. Let's do this.

x Envy

You May Also Like

13 Fellow Ramblers

  1. This is such an incredibly thoughtful post, Envy! The world definitely needs saving but it certainly can't be done alone so we do all need to pull together and help it out! I think the lack of education on certain topics is definitely a contributing problem that needs to be resolved! x

    www.imjustagirl16.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my post has had at least some effect since it went live :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! We can definitely all do our little bit to help save the world. Imagine if we all grouped together and worked together on it rather than everyone arguing and pulling in different directions? We definitely can't save it alone and it's dangerous to think that we can.

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crude example, but look at how the current quarantine is changing the world. It's a perfect example of small people making big changes happen!

      Delete
  3. I feel like the biggest step that most people fail to implement is to actually take action. It's easy to research, talk the talk and demand that everyone makes the changes necessary to turn this all around, but we have to stop and ask ourselves if we're really following our own advice.
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! It's so much easier to read articles and tweet distressing facts than to actually leave your desk and start picking up trash. I still struggle with it sometimes, but I'm trying to turn the things I can do into habits, so it'll get easier :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post. I read 12 Small Acts to Save Our World before Christmas which was co-authored by the World Wildlife Fund and I've been actively working to improve my family's sustainability since. We were always fairly environmentally conscious but we need to be actively improving not just aware at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to put that book on my TBR! My family's done a lot since January 2018, but I feel like we could use some inspiration and motivation at this point :)

      Delete
  5. Fun fact: I have a tweet screenshotted on my phone of you saying how worried you are people are asking others to save the world and how you want to do something about that because, ya know, if we're all pointing at each other, nothing will be accomplished... I made a screenshot of it because I share your worry and, as you perfectly illustrate in this blogpost, people should be aware of their own agency (AND complicity) when it comes to 'saving' the world. Even though it's one grain of sand at the time, it's important to take your responsibility, because every small (conscious) act counts! Ever have had a grain of sand in your eye? Then you KNOW how much impact it can have! LETS MOVE THAT DESERT!! ;)

    Love,
    Dominique

    www.fashionedbypluche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have achieved greatness! Someone uses a screenshot of a tweet of mine to illustrate a point! (I'm being sincere here). Honestly, this whole comment means so much to me, because it shows me that no matter how small my platform is, I can still use it to make an actual impact. Also, the "grain of sand in your eye" is a great addition to the whole thing!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh thanks for mentioning me!! And like noticing that I did that ahha. Loved loved loved loved this post!! So important!!

    Nabila | Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more than happy to mention you. It's inspirational to see young people around to globe put in effort for causes they believe in :)

      Delete
  7. I don't really remember much from the book, but I'll never forget the analogy of the grain of sand. Over the past year, I've picked up a few grains of sand and now that I'm at a point where I can look back on the changes I made and calculate the impact, I'm actually blown away by what small changes can do.

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)