Oliebollenloop 2013

by - 3:35 PM

While most of my classmates are outside, playing with firework and playing with the risk of losing a hand, I'm  stuck inside. Okay, I have to admit that I like it better inside, but the real reason is that I can barely walk.
Once again, I decided to run 6.4k at the Oliebollenloop.
Once again, Liselotte and I wanted to run together.
Once again, we almost died in the mosh pit that was supposed to be the start.
Once again, the wind almost blew us out of our shoes.
But once again, we made it all the way to the finish line! But not together...

Since my trainer asked me 'what the hell I was doing on the track', I decided to quit training with him. That was in September. My Dad and I make my training schedule. And since we started doing that, I've improved a lot. I came in third at the local cross country competition, in which I had to race against women who were at least ten years older than me. I ran a 6k race at the same pace I usually run 5k races (and yes, there's a huge difference between a 5k and a 6k race. 1000 meters to be exact).
So things are looking up. Today was like a final test. If I run well today, I might be able to run 5k in less than 25 minutes. I kept thinking that. I had to run well.
So when the race began, I gave it my all (after waiting for at least four seconds until the guy in front of me finally started moving...)

Liselotte stayed beside me for the first 800 meters. She was having a hard time, I heard her gasp and pant. We hadn't even reached the 2k mark when she gave up. I kept running, but this time I was all on my own. It was terrifying.
The wind was blowing from the exact same direction as last year. It was also a lot warmer. None of this made the running conditions better. Then there were other people swarming around me. I just don't like people so close around me. I mean, I already panicked when one of L.'s friends suddenly grabbed my hand because he wanted to dance.
It was a hard race, especially without Liselotte there to help me when it got tough. But we both made it.

I was 3 minutes faster than last year. If that isn't a great way to end the year and start 2014, I don't know what is.

You May Also Like

0 Fellow Ramblers

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)