The Dating App Diaries: Done and Deleted

by - 9:58 AM

It had been a month since I'd downloaded Happn. Three and a half weeks since I'd wanted to smack my first match in the face with a dictionary. Two weeks since I'd been majorly offended by a douche who'd pretended he liked me.
I looked at the little icon taking up space on my phone screen. It had also been a week since I'd used the app and I thought: Why do I still keep that app?


It was a rainy day in June when I started thinking about deleting the app. I called myself chicken, kept it for a few more days. But by the end of the week, the list of reasons to delete it had grown longer than I'll ever be. I went over them one by one as my thumb hovered over the uninstall icon that weekend.
The endless stream of guys who couldn't spell was getting on my nerves. I don't ask for much, but it would be nice to date a guy who doesn't spell like a six-year-old.
I also compared all of them to one of my guy friends with whom I talk all the time. If a guy was really interested in me, he'd put more effort into talking to me than my friend does, I reckoned. Apparently I was wrong.
The there was this thing with guys who were interested in me until they found out I'm a language student. One guy completely stopped talking to me after he'd asked which languages I still want to learn and I'd answered that I really wanted to learn Urdu.
One guy was cool, but the app deleted a message I'd sent him. I only noticed that after ten days. By then it was pointless to send it again; after ten days I already looked like a cold-hearted bitch who ignored his messages.
And of of course there was the thing with Jay... After what he'd said to me, I didn't have enough self esteem left to keep using Happn.
Quickly I deleted the app. There, done.

Now, about a month after I've deleted the Happn, I still don't regret it. If I was meant to meet a great guy on that app, it would have happened. I don't regret downloading it either. It made for some great stories and new experiences. Back in January I said I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and challenge myself this year. I think I did just that when I decided to give online dating a try. But for now it's been enough. I'll go back to being forever alone.

Stay Awesome!

You May Also Like

6 Fellow Ramblers

  1. I'm glad you feel you made the right call :) dont worry. you'll find the right in due time. have patience and hang in there. I know it gets hard; Ive never dated either. but its worth it.

    stay strong gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much patience, hahaha. But to be honest, right now I don't mind being alone. Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that I'm always alone, but I don't dislike it :)

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while, but my social anxiety is something I'm concerned about! I've never had a proper date and I might freak out hahaha
    And seeing someone I don't know makes me feel uncomfortable really. Your post made me think, because it might be good so I'm open to new experiences as you said...

    onmywayacqua.blogspot.com | Acqua xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's only one piece of advice I can give you: if you're worried about your anxiety, don't do it yet. I started this 'project' even though I wasn't really ready for it. It didn't have the worst consequences ever, but it's better to wait until you feel like you won't freak out if you go on a date ;)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on being able to move on!
    Ugh, seriously? I adore languages, and Urdu sounds super cool! Those people need to get themselves together.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, you know how it is: when something is unknown, it's scary, so Urdu is scary af for people in the Netherlands :P I think moving on was the best thing I could do before starting my summer vacation :)

      Delete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)