Some Super Jordanian Thoughts

by - 6:00 PM


Back in June, I was extremely excited to visit Jordan. It was the first Islamic country I ever visited. which made the whole thing extra special to me. Reading about Islam and talking about the religion with Kanra from The Lunar Descent is interesting, but experiencing it first-hand was something I'd been looking forward to for a long time. On top of that, Jordan has amazing Roman roots, some pretty cool street art, Wadi Rum and of course, Petra. Follow me on my trip through this Middle Eastern kingdom in this post with my random thoughts about the country!

I already like the Jordanian tour guide better than the one in Israel, though this bus smells a lot weirder than the Israeli bus,

Yay, I finally get to visit a mosque!


I have to be honest here. I understand I have to cover my hair and limbs, but this dress-like thingy makes me feel like a penguin.

Putting a hijab on without a mirror is hard!

This mosque is beautiful. And the carpet is so soft!

Of course I manage to step into a puddle with my clean socks...

Amman has some huge flags. Like, gigantic.


I'm in love with the Roman citadel. My Latin teacher would be so proud if he could see me here now.

I wonder if Jesus has been on this hill though. "Ey, Douwe, d'you think Jesus visited this place?"

Whoa, the street art here is so cool. I should start working on my own designs again when I get home.


Why is everyone in this group walking so slowly? I want to get out of this souq asap, please.

Madaba looks like there's nothing to do. The place where tourists stay just because it's cheaper than Amman.

There's a western supermarket only 20 minutes away! Can't wait to see price tags and not get ripped off.

Why are all these people staring at me? It's nice that they yell "Welcome to Jordan" instead of obscenities, but it makes me uncomfortable nonetheless.

This supermarket trip was a mistake... I've never been this happy to go back to my hotel.

A mountain where Moses was, not Jesus! It does have a very different vibe indeed.


Is that Japanese guy really telling us about his daughter's diarrhea? Poor girl...

I can see why they call this place the Grand Canyon of Jordan.

I know the King's Highway is supposed to be amazing and all, but if I don't close my eyes now I'll be sick all over this already smelly bus.

I'm gonna be sick, I'm gonna be so sick...

My carsickness made me miss out on an army party with camels and flags...

I hope I won't throw up in front of Petra's Treasury tonight.

There are dogs fighting in front of the entrance to Petra Archeological Park and I don't like it one bit.

This is awesome. The way is lit by candles, stars up above... This is beautiful.

No point in taking pictures in this darkness, sadly.

I wonder how long this walk is going to last. I would be a great route for a race though.

Oh my god! The Treasury!


Oh shit, one of the lanterns is on fire. Please don't spread, please don't spread, please don't spread.

Petra by night is magical. I can't wait to see it by day.

Petra is so much bigger than I thought! So much to see, so much to explore!

I wish my dad was here with me. He would have loved this. I miss him...

The Monastery is amazing. It's all amazing. I'm so lucky to be here.


I really want to go to the viewpoint and I think we got a good price for the guide, but this part of the park is prohibited... Why are we doing this?

I'm gonna die. We're all gonna die.

Thank god. I'm alive. I guess. But this view is definitely worth it!


I wish I could stay here longer. A day, maybe two...

I can't wait to spend a night at a desert camp in Wadi Rum, camping underneath the stars!

This... is not what I expected. The music's too loud, there's too much light to see the stars... I want to go home.

At least the desert is quiet and beautiful by day, though the plastic pollution near the camp is horrible.

That's the arch from all the travel brochures! I have to climb it. I HAVE TO.


Did we really have to return to Madaba?

Why is there a toilet bowl in this open basement?

The Roman city of Jerash is beautiful and all... but nothing can beat Petra. I guess it's time to go home.

And so, the day after I visited Jerash, I returned home. My time in Jordan was one of big highs and few but painful lows. It was a whole new experience, one I wouldn't have wanted to miss. Jordan is still relatively unknown as a destination and the locals would love it if more tourists came to visit their country. They are are welcoming and friendly (except in some parts of Madaba) and their country has more to offer than you'd think. Take it from me: Jordan is the place to go to if you want to safely experience the Middle East!

x Envy

You May Also Like

0 Fellow Ramblers

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)