Setting Up Shop

by - 3:00 PM


As a kid I had these periods of sadness. Out of the blue I'd feel very down and I'd stop playing. Whenever this happened, my mom always said the same thing: 'Go create something.' She'd never tell me what, it could literally be anything. Stories, drawings, paintings, a little DIY project. Anything was possible. I used to hate that advice, because I always felt inspirationless whenever I was in the middle of a sad period, but followed it anyway. As I grew older, I noticed it worked. Creating something took my mind off things. And after dropping out of college it was the only thing that kept me from crying all day.


I started making stationery in February. It started with some envelopes, which I put on Twitter. People freaked out over them. Then that faithful #TeacupClub chat happened in which we were asked what kind of product we'd sell if we were famous. I've dreamed of having my own line of notebooks since forever. They'd have a wanderlust theme and some quotes on them and when I shared this idea, people seemed really excited about it. Then I thought to myself: why not give it a shot and make those things? I could set up a shop. That's when the idea of linking it to charity popped up.


A couple of years ago I wrote my Make it Happen List, a list of things I wanted to do but didn't have the motivation for unless I was confronted with them on a list. One of the first things I wrote down was raising money for a wildlife preservation charity. So I looked into a few things and realized that even though Etsy shops are awesome, I'd rather see part of the money I ask for products go to charity than to Etsy fees. I decided to set up shop here, on my blog, and donate €0,50 of every purchased item to charity. At first I wanted to donate to a local charity, but then a WWF commercial on TV had me bawling my eyes out (just don't show me tiger cubs in danger, okay?!) and I decided to raise money for them. I always wanted to do that with friends in elementary school, but they never let me join them... Anyway, it's my turn to raise some money and make a difference in this world. One PayPal account and many pictures later, I was ready. My shop is now officially open!


Every product in the pictures shown in this post is available in my shop. It's all hand made, I put my heart and soul into every single product. And to stick with the whole environmental thing: I use as many recycled materials as possible. I make most envelopes out of pages from old atlases that would've been thrown away otherwise. I reuse cardboard for notebook covers. Old scraps of yarn are used for binding. Whatever I make, I try to make it as sustainable and easy on the planet as possible.
Just one more thing: as I'm currently super busy getting into university, I havne't been able to edit the HTML yet for easy access to the shop page. The easiest way to check it all out is by clickng this link right here. Click that link, have a look around and let me know what you think.
I hope you place a cheeky little order and help me raise money to save the planet. With the weirdos we call politicians these days, we need to step up and save the planet ourselves.

x Envy

You May Also Like

14 Fellow Ramblers

  1. Nice! Will definitely check your shop out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These products look amazing and have such great inspiration behind it. It's great to see how someone can turn something sad into something incredible, and be brave enough to tell the full story. Beautifully written as well, and we hope you do so well with this. Will definitely be checking out your shop.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Jessica & James | Food & Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I picked a bad moment to start this project though, as I don't have time to do promo, but after my vacation I'm going to put a lot more work into this project ^-^

      Delete
  3. I love this, it always makes me so proud when I see people accomplishing things they have always wanted to do! Congratulations on your shop and I wish you all the success in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool and makes me want to set up my own shop selling something. So great you're helping out the planet too!

    Josh
    www.lookdwn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so afraid for the future of this planet that I just had to do something. Hope you'll get to set up your own shop too :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! This is so cool Envy! I am definitely going to go check out those notebooks. :)

    Nabila | Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you like them :)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love your mom's approach to chasing the blues away! And this is such a lovely idea and a great way to fulfill a lifelong dream of being part of the WWF. You've got some adorable things in your shop!

    xx
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually my mom's approach to almost everything. Happy? Make something. Angry? Make something. Sad? Make something, hahaha. It always works, in every situation. And thank you :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my god, Envy. I can't believe my chat inspired you so much! I'm so happy my little question gave you the push you needed to make this happen. Your products all look incredible. I have to agree with your mom too. When I feel down and like I've lost touch with myself, creating something new brings me back ♥️

    Breanna Catharina
    toocuteforlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea of the kind of things that come from your #TeacupClub chats ;) Honestly, I get my best ideas during those chats.
      I worked hard on them so it means a lot to me when people say they like them ^-^

      Delete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)